Public Safety

Tusil Fire Holds at 1,000 Acres as I-8 Lanes Reopen Near Campo

By Santee Pulse Staff ยท Published May 20, 2026 ยท 3 min read
Tusil Fire Holds at 1,000 Acres as I-8 Lanes Reopen Near Campo
Photo: Courtesy of Cal Fire via KPBS

A wildfire near Campo held at about 1,000 acres Wednesday morning as crews worked to strengthen containment lines and reopen travel through the Interstate 8 corridor, according to Cal Fire and KPBS.

The Tusil Fire started about 1 p.m. Tuesday off Tusil Road, north of I-8 and west of Ribbonwood Road in Boulevard. Cal Fire said the fire was burning on and around the Campo Reservation, damaged one structure and remained under investigation.

KPBS reported that all evacuations had been downgraded to warnings by Wednesday morning, though residents were still being directed to follow official evacuation maps and updates. A temporary shelter was made available at the Golden Acorn Casino for people displaced by the fire.

The California Highway Patrol reopened at least one lane in each direction of I-8 Wednesday morning, but the No. 2 lanes in both directions remained closed near the burn area. That matters for Santee and East County drivers because I-8 is the main east-west route through the backcountry, and lane closures can quickly ripple into long delays for commuters, deliveries and weekend travel.

Fire officials said no injuries had been reported. Residents traveling east of Santee should check Cal Fire, CHP and AlertSanDiego updates before heading toward Campo or Boulevard.

Community Discussion

Loading comments...

Be respectful. No personal attacks, hate speech, or spam. Comments that violate our guidelines will be removed.

๐Ÿ“ฌ Stay in the loop

Santee's top stories, free every morning.